The bathroom is one of the most frequently used rooms in any house. Most people have both a morning and a nighttime routine that takes place in it that involves showering, brushing their teeth, and getting ready for the day. Chances are that you visit it at least one more time throughout the day to take care of business.
What this all boils down to is the simple fact that your bathroom is important. It needs to be functional to take care of all your daily needs. Yet many people also desire an attractive bathroom since so much time is spent there.
Below are our top tips on remodeling your bathroom – and using green technologies while doing so. Because it takes a lot of skill, experience, and special tools to renovate a bathroom, our top tips all relate to hiring a professional building contractor to do the job for you.
Bathroom Renovation Suggestions
Hiring a contractor to renovate your bathroom is great because it allows you to kill two (or more) birds with one stone. In addition to improving the functionality and cosmetics of the room, you can also focus on making yours more energy efficient. Remember to ask your contractor about:
- Low-Flow Showerheads – Reduce the amount of water you use in the shower. Some come with built-in timers so you’re aware of how long you’re in there for.
- Moisture-Sensing Fan – These exhaust fans clear out steam in a room and then shut out automatically after the moisture is gone.
- Low-Flow Toilets – Like low-flow showerheads, these toilets use far less water than a typical model.
- Fixtures – Remember that the fewer parts your bathroom fixtures have, the longer they will last without breaking.
- Flooring – It is very important to select heat and steam resistant flooring.
Find the Best Contractor
One of the most difficult parts of a home renovation project is finding a qualified contractor. There are a lot of them out there and it goes without saying that some do far better work than others. Keep these tips in mind while looking for a contractor for your bathroom remodeling project.
- Referrals – You can’t beat referrals when it comes to hiring a contractor. If friends and family have had similar work done in their homes, their recommendations should be on the top of your list.
- Reviews – Online reviews are another great way to gauge a contractor’s skill and reputability. Remember to check the Better Business Bureau as well.
- Gut Feeling – Schedule a meeting with your top choice after narrowing down the field. If your gut feeling tells you anything is off, trust it. There are plenty of contractors to choose from, so go with one you are completely comfortable with.
- Get an Estimate – Make sure that every estimate you get is in writing. In addition to price, it should include the estimated amount of time the project will take.
Final Thoughts on Remodeling Your Bathroom
A bathroom remodel is one of the most common home restoration projects around. It is essential to have a solid idea of what you want before starting. If you find a reputable and experienced contractor, then communicating exactly what you want – and then getting exactly this – won’t be a challenge.